Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bistro du'O in Vaison

I may have been on a budget but I still wanted to get my food on, and Bistro du'O in Vaison la Romaine serves the kind of fresh and refreshing food I was looking for after a warm day of cycling and bus travel. To wit: an amuse bouche of mousse d'olive; a starter of smoked salmon and herbed cream cheese on toast, served with barely-dressed, slightly bitter, super-fresh greens; a beautiful duck leg in a cranberry reduction, with the meat falling off the bone; and a trio of lovely local cheeses to finish. The demi of white Vacqueyras I ordered was serviceable rather than exciting, but if memory serves there are better options for those ordering a full bottle.





On the way out of Vaison I visited Déal, the bistro's cheese monger, and picked up a fabulous semi-firm goat cheese from the Ardèche. It made for a simple yet great pleasure as I headed north to Saumur. Ah, but I'm getting well ahead of myself; I haven't yet documented my Dentelles detour!

No comments: