Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What I Can't Tell You, and What I Can

I'm listening to a new album that's odd and noisy and so beautiful in spots that it makes me misty. I can't tell you what it is, since it's a leak from the Internets, but I promise I'll actually buy it when it is released this fall. As a former record label owner, I can be trusted... at least on this score.

What I can tell you is that I drank a few glasses of the 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Gobelsburger tonight with a potato salad. It's beautiful, but I'm actually thankful it's not so beautiful that it makes me misty, lest I turn into some kind of puddle. Anyhoo, this terrific entry-level GV smells of Chinese peapod, spiced pear, yellow apple, stainless steel, and rainwater. On the palate it's lithe yet mouthfilling, as the creamy body compliments the clean acidity and slightly salty finish. And oh yes, the classic GV white pepper dances on the tongue as well. An umami character is nascent; wait a few years to bring on the mushroom notes. I should like to pair it with anything this side of a steak, although Indian food gets a special nod.

I can also tell you that I'm working on a site redesign. The wines I like are distinct, and I at least attempt to write in my own voice; so while Blogger's templates are nice, I'd like the web site to look like its own thing, too. The new look is coming shortly. The cat picture stays.

No comments: